SCHOOL ATTENDANCE PHONE
- High School 679-6417
- Middle School 679-6350
- Forest Lake School 679-6470
- Mandalay School 679-6390
- Wantagh Elementary School 679-6480
ILLNESS AT HOME AND RETURN TO SCHOOL
If your child is sent home or stays home due to illness, or becomes ill in the evening, it is expected that he/she remain symptom-free (fever, nausea, vomiting) for 24 hours before returning to school without the aid of medicines such as Tylenol or Advil.
If your child is well enough to be in school it is expected that they will participate in the total school program including recess and Physical Education. There is no ongoing supervision for students to have elective indoor recess.
All communicable diseases MUST be reported. Children with communicable diseases cannot attend school. Included are: strep throat, chicken pox, ring worm, impetigo, scarlet fever, among others. If you or your doctor suspect strep throat, please keep your child home until the results of the throat culture have been received. Your child may return to school after he/she has been on the prescribed medication and remains symptom free. Also, please contact your school nurse for any other medical problems, which may arise concerning your child.
Your cooperation in these matters will be greatly appreciated by other children, their families, and our faculty/staff/guests.
ACCIDENTS & INJURIES
Please remind your child of the following:
- Pupils must promptly inform a staff member if they become ill/injured.
- Pupils must have permission from a staff member to see the nurse. Also, children must visit the nurse if requested to do so by a staff member.
- The nurse will assess the illness/injury (and provide proper treatment as necessary).
- Children may be requested to report back to the nurse for follow-up visit(s).
- An Accident Report will be filled out for any significant injury.
- A doctor's note is required if your child will be coming to school with any of the items listed above.
- On the first day back to school, report to the school nurse upon arrival.
- The nurse, in consultation with the principal, will advise you of special arrangements, program modifications, and/or restrictions.
- Pupils will not be permitted to participate in physical education classes, recess activities, intramural, or interscholastic activities.
- A letter from a Physician is required stating when a child may resume the physical activities listed above.
- Contact the school nurse if your child is unable to attend school (for an extended period of time) due to a serious injury, surgery, rehabilitation, or if your child requires the use of a wheelchair.